The long-term project “Forum an der Museumsinsel” is being built in the direct vicinity of Monbijoupark in Berlin-Mitte. While the numerous listed buildings of the ensemble have meanwhile been extensively renovated and the new buildings have also been completed, the inner courtyard is now finally being prepared.
Text and photos: Björn Leffler
In September, we reported on the completion of the historic main telegraph office on Oranienburger Straße in Mitte, which is part of the long-term project “Forum an der Museumsinsel”. The project is one of the largest and most spectacular restoration and new construction projects of the post-reunification period and is being realized between Spreeufer, Tucholskystraße, Oranienburger Straße and Monbijoupark.
The former telegraph office, the largest single building of the entire ensemble, was opened from 1910 to 1916 as the most elaborate postal building in Germany at the time. The building was equipped with state-of-the-art telegraph technology at the time and also served as a development center for German radio communications in the early years.
LARGEST BUILDING OF THE ENSEMBLE: THE FORMER MAIN TELEGRAPH OFFICE
Offices, gastronomy and a hotel are to find space in the modernized neo-baroque building. Patzschke Architekten have prepared the building for future uses with a number of alterations to the interior structure. As one of the first events, several shows of the Berlin Fashion Week took place in the Haupttelegraphenamt from September 5 to 7.
The inner courtyard of the northern part of the “Forum an der Museumsinsel” is directly adjacent to the Haupttelegraphenamt and is now being given its final design as the last phase of the project. The final construction work on the site is currently in full swing.
THE NORTHERN COURTYARD WILL BE OPEN TO THE PUBLIC IN THE FUTURE
The inner courtyard is primarily defined by two large solitaires. The main telegraph office on the eastern side and the former telephone office, which was built until 1927 and is now used by the Delivery Hero company as its headquarters.
While the courtyard of the southern part – between Ziegelstraße and Spreeufer – including seating and lawn areas as well as a playground, will be reserved for residents and employees of the resident companies, the northern part will be open to the public.
INNER COURTYARD IN THE “FORUM”: SPACE FOR GASTRONOMY AND EVENTS
The opening of the former parcel courtyard will create a new, inner-city area that will offer attractive and high-quality designed gastronomy and event space in the future. The newly created courtyard will be named “Forum” in the future and is designed as a diverse place for relaxation and social exchange.
The courtyard was originally intended to house two new buildings, the “Workshop” directly on Ziegelstraße and the “Diesel” at the former lodge building. Although both buildings were under construction, only the “Diesel” was completed, while the area where the “Werkstatt” was to be built has now apparently been converted into an open space.
In the “Diesel”, which is now nearing completion, a large catering facility is to be set up in the future. Events for several hundred people are also to be possible here, during which the outdoor areas of the inner courtyard can also be used. Originally, the project was scheduled for completion in the fall of 2021, but due to the Corona pandemic, the project is now expected to be completed one year later than originally planned.
More pictures of the project can be found here: